Toledo, OH | Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney
If you have more debt than you can pay back, then filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy may be an option for you. Chapter 7 bankruptcy basically gives you a fresh start by wiping out some or all of your debt. The majority of people will be able to keep all of their property.
The road to debt relief can be complex and confusing. Attorney Scott Ciolek understands that filing for bankruptcy successfully depends on getting the details right. Call today to set up a consultation with Scott Ciolek 419-740-5935.
Learn More About Filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Ohio
1. The first step is scheduling a meeting with Toledo bankruptcy lawyer Scott A. Ciolek. He will evaluate your financial situation and determine what type of bankruptcy, if any, would be best for you. In order to make the most of this appointment, please bring along with you; a list of your creditors, any court documents or official papers regarding wage garnishment, foreclosure, etc., any documents you have questions about, and know your income (approximately) for the past 6 months. If you decide to file for bankruptcy, we email you our online questionnaire (or paper copy, if you prefer).
2. After you’ve completed the questionnaire, you will be required to pay the fee, return the questionnaire and any other information we may have requested. At this point, we’ll pull your credit report and get you started on the required credit counseling course.
3. Next, we will prepare your Chapter 7 Bankruptcy petition. We will notify you when your Chapter 7 Bankruptcy petition is ready to be signed. You will come back to meet with Scott and review the petition. The petition will then be electronically filed with the bankruptcy court.
4. After the petition is filed, what is known as the Meeting of Creditors will be set. It is mandatory that you attend. The date is usually 20 to 40 days after the petition has been filed. At the Meeting of Creditors, there will be a Bankruptcy Trustee who will ask you various questions regarding your petition. Also, a representative of creditors may attend. This is usually a short meeting lasting less than 15 minutes. You must bring a photo ID and proof of your social security number. Attorney Scott A. Ciolek will be there with you throughout the entire process.
5. To be eligible for the bankruptcy discharge, you must complete a personal financial management course offered by an approved agency. We provide you with the course registration. This step must occur within 45 days after the first meeting of creditors.
6. The final step in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, is the granting of the debt discharge. Generally, the discharge will be obtained in approximately 4 months from the date the petition is filed.
Free Bankruptcy Consultation
Work during the day? Call for evening and weekend appointments. Don’t live in the immediate Toledo area and want to make as few trips as possible? We have a solution and we will work with you.
Take the first step and contact Toledo bankruptcy lawyer Scott A. Ciolek to set up a free consultation at (419) 740 5935 today.
One Flat Rate
Clients often worry about the legal fees associated with hiring a lawyer. For Chapter 7 cases, our firm uses a flat fee system instead of charging an hourly rate. This allows us to focus on results and value, not billable hours. There are a number of costs associated with filing a bankruptcy in addition to the attorney fee, including a filing fee, credit report fee, and credit counseling course fees. Unlike other bankruptcy firms, these costs are all included in our flat fee. We also provide added value by offering convenience – consultations can be done by phone, documents exchanged by email, and we work around your schedule.